Monday 7 April 2014

Summer in Sweden... why not?

In January I saw a post on the NGB facebook group about a project monitoring breeding populations of Pied Flycatchers in Sweden. I monitored nestboxes in Aber last year, so thought it might be a good opportunity to learn more about this species and to work with researchers and ringers in a different country. After a few e-mails, my place was confirmed and I was left wondering why all jobs couldn't be so easy?
I've always loved travelling, and have never ventured into Scandinavia so a trip to the library for some books was in order. Thankfully, I won't need to know too much about the birds before I get there as we will all be trained in the field to ensure that the data collected complies with the existing methods of the project. However, I have decided that while I am there I will be attempting to read the Ringers Manual cover to cover (something I have not yet managed!), as well as getting to grips with sexing and aging passerines.

Photos from Aber 2013

A female Pied Flycatcher on the nest.
Pied Flycatcher eggs in a nestbox

Hungry little Pied Flycatcher chicks
All snuggled up
Aren't they cute!

Whilst I am really excited to be given the opportunity to do my hobby, in a new country, AND get paid for it, I will be leaving with mixed emotions. Summer is obviously the busiest time of year for ringers, and I will be missing out on most of the CES visits and Puffin Island trips this year. It also means that I have had to pass the baton on for Aber, but I'm sure that Geoff will manage to get this years volunteers organised for visits. I have said that I will do the first visit on the 22nd April (2 days before I fly!), just to check which boxes are showing signs of nest building and which have already been claimed by the Tits (I'm almost expecting to find some eggs given the early Spring and recent warm weather).

I will be returning to Bangor in July, but I'm pretty confident that by then the prospect of returning to retail work will be so unappealing that I will have had another spurt of job applications. Hopefully this experience will boost my CV, leading to a job related to my degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment